Wednesday, July 30, 2008

In Our Father's Arms




My youngest sister, Gina Navarrete, her husband, Mike, and their teen-age sons Mikko and Joel are flying out tomorrow. They are migrating to Canada. Gina announced her decision a little over a year ago, and for the longest time, my Mom and my 10 other siblings couldn't understand the decision. They both had hugely successful careers - Gina was president of Red Ribbon and Mike was SVP and CFO of ABS-CBN. Last Saturday, July 19 which would have been our Dad's 86th birthday, we gave them a farewell party. To make the occasion memorable, my Mom and all of us siblings wrote Gina a letter and compiled them in a scrapbook which we gave during the party. My eldest sister asked me to read my letter during the program. And here's the letter that I read.

Dearest Gina,

Exactly a year ago today, you invited Ma and your sisters (including our honorary sister, Kuya Pet) to lunch at the Podium ostensibly to celebrate Dad’s birthday. Towards the end of our very hearty and happy lunch, you said that the occasion was not just to celebrate Dad’s birthday but also because you had an important announcement to make. All of us were thinking that it was another promotion or a move to another company. We almost fell out of our chairs when you said that your whole family was going to migrate to Canada and you gave us your reasons – you and Mike had saved enough for you to retire early and comfortably, and you wanted your children to study in North America but you didn’t want them to be separated from you. I think I was one of the first to say that I couldn’t understand why considering your charmed lifestyle in Manila. And having lived in the US for over 2 years, I knew how difficult and lonely it could be.

Since then, I had been praying for you, Mike and the children and asking God to lead you to the right decision and to lead you to His plan for you. In the meantime, you were preparing for your departure. About a month ago, you texted us to say that the movers were in your house and that you were feeling a little sad but also excited. I wanted to reply that I was excited for you too but I couldn’t. So I said that I was still in denial but I was praying for you. You responded by saying that you knew we were all in denial but you wanted to keep us posted on the developments even if we didn’t react. And I texted back to say that I appreciated your keeping us posted but that it was so difficult and painful for me to know you’re leaving us for good and that the only support I could give you was my heartfelt prayers for you. I also saluted you for taking this bold move for your kids.

About two weeks ago, I had my eureka moment while I was in the shower. I think it was divinely inspired. The thought that came to me was that throughout this past year, my prayer was for our heavenly Father to lead you to His will for you. I was also sure countless others were praying the same thing for you. And as you stated in your email when you announced and explained your decision to the rest of the siblings, you had prayed long and hard for discernment before you made the decision to leave. God had one whole year to intervene and to stop you from leaving. But He did not. Indeed, this must be God’s plan for you. So even though I cannot understand your decision with my natural comprehension, I can certainly accept it with a supernatural outlook. And I take comfort from my favorite passage in the Bible (Romans 8:28) which states “…for those who love God all things work together unto good…”

You do not need anyone’s blessing to leave. But I am sure you would wish to have it. Thanks to God’s grace, you certainly have mine and Kuya Manny’s. But we will surely miss you bunsoy for:

- your passion which shows in everything you do – from planning our parties and making sure everyone knows their assignments, to talking with the hotel front desk to ensure we get the right breakfast stubs, to playing scrabble or mahjong or pusoy and winning – and which has made you so successful in your career;

- your thoughtfulness such as never forgetting to greet all of us – your siblings, your nephews and nieces, and your grandnephews and nieces on our birthdays, and more recently for me when you bought chimes for my kubo and sent them to my house, because you liked the sound and thought of me; and

- your generosity which has made us all look forward to opening your presents whether for birthday or for Christmas.

As you, Mike, Mikko and Joel leave our country, keep in your minds that you have a whole barangay supporting you with our prayers. And keep in your hearts that you have a huge family who loves you very deeply and is very grateful to our Lord for making you a part of this family. We have all been touched by the goodness of your hearts, inspired by the lives that you have led, and blessed by the love that you have generously given us. I am sure we will continue to be touched, inspired and blessed by you even if we are 10,000 miles apart.

Thank you so much Gina, Mike, Mikko and Joel for all that you have done for us and especially for all that you have been to us. We love you and we will miss you. But we are comforted by the hope that God will bless you even more in this next chapter of your lives.

Love,

Ate Aggie, with Kuya Manny, Jog and Lauren, Tif and Sofie, Anna and James, and Joey
July 19, 2008


Before I read the letter (after a niece and three other siblings had read their letters), I said that the moment reminded me so much of the scene in Fiddler on the Roof where the youngest daughter was leaving home with her husband to move to Siberia. I said that Canada was not Siberia. But even if Gina was the president of Red Ribbon, she was still our youngest sister and we would always be protective of her.

After the farewell party, I immediately wanted to write about my sister's departure. I already had the title for my post - "Canada is not Siberia." But for some reason, I couldn't write the piece. Now I know why. Yesterday afternoon, I attended the get-togther with the prelate of Opus Dei, Bishop Echevarria. In his address, he stressed divine filiation, the spiritual foundation of Opus Dei, which means that we are children of God. And he gave a very powerful analogy. He talked about a native American crossing a very narrow footbridge over a deep ravine carrying his young son in his arms. After reaching the other side of the mountain, the son was asked if he was scared. And the young boy replied, "Why should I be scared? I was in the arms of my father."

So now when I think of my youngest sister leaving for Canada, the image in my mind is no longer the scene in Fiddler on the Roof with the youngest daughter tearfully exchanging good-byes with her family at the train station. Rather it is the image of my youngest sister and her family smiling happily in our Father's arms as they embark on a new life in Canada. Who knows? They could be the mustard seed and the yeast that Christ spoke about in last Monday's Gospel, in Nova Scotia.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mga bunsong babae talaga oh, hilig sa adventure! Hehehe...