Sunday, August 31, 2008

Enough!

One of the many blessings of retirement is being able to watch TV at any time and for as long as I wish. That's what I did the past week when I was glued to the TV and to my laptop (muting one or the other while surfing the web) watching the Democratic National Convention. I don't know why it is that everyone in my family has always rooted for the Democrats (though only one of us is an American). Probably it was our Dad's influence on us, or our fascination with JFK, or our dislike for the Bushes which started when the elder Bush proudly told Marcos "I admire your adherence to democratic principles."

I was a Hillary supporter, as all my siblings except for our eldest sister. I even chided her for having been lured by the siren's song. But when I watched the DNC, I was hooked to Obama. First was Michelle's speech which I found amazing. She really brought it home for Barack and brought him to our homes.



Hillary's speech was awesome and I could only marvel at her for her class and her graciousness. Only a very strong love of country could have propelled her to do what she did so magnificently. And the following day, it was she who stopped the roll call and moved for the suspension of the rules so that Barack could be nominated by acclamation. I know that this was all stage-managed and cynics would say that she already had her eyes on 2012 or 2016, but a much lesser person would not have been able to do what she did.



I didn't get to watch the third night live because Manny had his medical check-up on Thursday morning which turned out very well. His creatinine went down substantially. Though it was still slightly elevated, his nephrologist was very pleased. She cut his meds from daily to MWF. His next check-up will still be two months hence. So again, our thanks to all those who continue to pray for Manny. Please continue to do so since he still has to have his metastatic work-up to make sure that there are no cancer cells in any other prt of his body. His oncologist has scheduled those tests (CT scans and MRIs) for early November.

At any rate, I got to watch the speeches of Kerry, Bill, Beau and Joe Biden on my laptop later in the day. I supported Kerry in 2004 and was so disappointed when he didn't make it. And watching his punchy speech which highlighted the differences between Senator McCain (his friend) and Candidate McCain (the adversary) only showed the great folly of the Bush victory in 2004.



Bill's speech was quintessential Bill - thoughtful and compelling - and trumped all the bad press that he had gotten the past months.



Beau introduced his dad and talked about the accident which killed his mom and his baby sister while Christmas shopping, when he was not yet four. He and his younger brother were also seriously injured in the accident (Joe Biden had just been elected to the Senate and was checking out his new office and was spared). Joe wanted to quit his Senate seat to take care of his two sons, but was prevailed upon to stay. So every day when Congress was in session, he took the 2 hour Amtrak each way from DC to Wilmington to be with his sons for dinner. And about 5 years after the accident, Beau said that he, his Dad, and his brother married Jill. (I loved this line.)



Joe's speech was also excellent and, if I were an American, I wouldn't worry that he will be just a heartbeat away from the presidency.



Which brings us to the presidential candidate. I'd never had the chance to listen to Barack give a speech. I had only seen excerpts. But I had heard about his excellent oratorical skills and so eagerly awaited his acceptance speech. And boy was I transfixed and transformed. The speech and the delivery were flawless. It showed who he was, what he went through, what he stood for, and what he planned to do for the country and the world. He alternately informed and inspired, edified and inspired, expanded the mind with possibilities, and filled the heart with hope. And though he spoke for 44 minutes, he left me wanting more. And for one wistful moment, I wished I were an American so I could work for his victory.



No wonder that in his desperation, McCain picked a hockey mom for his VP nominee. Which only shows how right Barack was when he said that McCain doesn't get it. McCain doesn't realize that women do not want affirmative action, that we can sense pandering, condescension and tokenism a mile away. That women do not wish to get ahead because they are women or despite their being women, but because of what they bring to the table. For at the end of the day, character and competence should will out regardless of age, race, gender or creed.

In 1986, the Filipinos' rallying cry was: "Tama na! Sobra na! Palitan na!" This November, the Democrats' rallying cry is "Enough!" Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen too!:)

Now that John McCain chose Sarah Palin as his VP--the Republicans are singing "Not fade away" (Rolling Stones)---as if to say that had it been that barack chose Hillary as his VP, the Republicans might have sung; "Shattered" (Rolling stones)

Meaning, in my opinion, the Republicans were scared of a Obama-Clinton tandem!--it might cause the greatest landslide democrats' vicotry in the history of US elections!

At least, now both campscan concentrate on forthcoming debates, to which, most people "outside" looking in would be extremely excited to see and hear.:)

bigheart4all:)