Manny and I bought the dress on Dec. 8, one week before the celebration. I had just spent the day with Sandra Lawrence, my former manager at ADB who lives in the DC area. We're both Twilight fans so we made a date to watch Breaking Dawn. As my daughter, Anna, said, it was just all right. Nothing to write home about but something you need to see if you're a Twilight fan. After a chatty lunch and the movie, Sandra brought me to the mall where I met up with Manny.
We went to New York and Company, H&M, Express and JC Penny, and found nothing. We then went to Macy's where I also didn't find a dress the first time around. So I did a second look at the designer dresses, and finally saw one dress - a Kasper off-white sleeveless shift with two black parallel pipings above the waist. The cloth had silver threads woven into it so I thought it was dressy enough. I tried it on and showed it to Manny who pronounced it was a perfect fit. So we went to the cashier to pay for it.
But we waited and waited. I was only second in line but the lady in front of me had about 10 suits. While the cashier was ringing them up, they were both chatting like they knew each other. Then the cashier stopped because one suit had no price. So they both left and went back to the racks to check the price. Apparently, they did much more because they took a really long time. I could see them from where I stood, and it looked like the cashier was helping the customer look for more suits. Manny checked out the other cashiers but the queues were long too. While waiting, I saw a sales attendant with two dresses she was about to return to the racks. One of them was a beige suit with matte gold sequins on the neckline and on the waist cascading down for about 4 inches. I asked her what size it was and she said 4. So I asked to look at it. It was just the right color with the sequins and the material making it dressy. I also thought I could wear the jacket to the mass and remove it during the lunch. So it was perfect, except it had s smudge at the back which I thought could be wiped away. Manny suggested that I try it on, but I was too tired already and said I'd do it at home, and just return it if it didn't fit. But it was also a Kasper size 4 so I thought it should work.
At that moment, the cashier and the customer came back. She rang up the rest of her suits, and then packed them in plastics bags. While she was doing that, the customer saw my two dresses and found the beige dress really pretty and asked where I got it. I said that the sales attendant was just carrying it to return it. So she left to look for the same dress. She came back and said there was only a size 4 and she was holding it. I asked her if she was going to get it and she said no. So I looked at it, and it was perfect with no smudges. When my turn came, I asked the cashier to check the price of the off-white dress. It was $20 more expensive than the beige suit. So I just got the beige suit.
When we got home, I went up to try it on. Joaquin followed me to my room. After I tried it, I told him, "It's a nice dress. Let's show it to Wowo." But Wowo was in the shower, so Joaquin went inside and said, "Wowo, look at Wowa. It's a nice dress!" Indeed it was. One of the guests even said that it looked Filipiniana.
I realized that I was not just led to the dress, the dress was even brought to me. It certainly gives a different meaning to John Milton's "They also serve who only stand and wait." Thank you Lord!

No comments:
Post a Comment