April 28 to May 17,
Sunday to Thursday
April 28, Sunday As
I was walking towards Cherie’s ICU room after her brain surgery to drain the
fluid from her brain to shunt it to her stomach, I was steeling myself for the
sight and praying for strength. I knew they had to shave her head. But I didn’t
know how she would look, how she would feel. I was expecting that her head would
be fully covered, and she would be lying in bed with her eyes closed and lots
of tubes sticking out of her. So when I saw her, I was relieved to see that she
was sitting up and her head was bare. She had only three lines for an IV, a
heart and BP monitor, and a urine bag. When she saw me, she immediately set me
at ease with her question, “Am I as bald as Mommy now?” I replied, “A different
kind of bald.” The right side of her head had been shaven and there was a
bandage covering the wound. But she was very animated -- engaging with her
Filipino nurse Ferdie, talking with all of us, cracking jokes, and even asking
for food. I suddenly thought, “She’s back. The Cherie I knew before chemo
ravaged her spirit was back. Thank God!”
I volunteered to stay with her that night so Jun could go
home and rest. After Ferdie’s shift, another Filipino nurse, Joyce, took over.
She was probably in her 60s, very motherly and caring. Cherie weathered the
night well, though she was a bit disoriented. Twice during the night, she asked
me where Jun was and I said that he had gone home. After the second time, she
said that it was a good thing she could not find her pillow because she wanted to throw it at
Jun to wake him up. J I apologized and said I didn’t hear her and she
reassured me by saying she was calling out for Jun and that was probably why I
couldn’t be roused from my sleep.
April 29, Monday
When dawn broke, she was still in good spirits. But after I came out from the shower, she
turned somber and said, “I’m afraid this is the beginning of the end.” I then
repeated what my seatmate told me on the plane, “No negative vibes. “ And she
smiled. I also reminded her that Tish was arriving in LAX that morning, and that Monet and Evelyn
would bring her straight to Kaiser.
April 30, Tuesday
This was D (devastation) Day when we learned that Cherie’s lung cancer had
spread to her brain. The result of the brain MRI that was taken the previous
Saturday when Manny and I met her at Kaiser was wrong. (We had been advised on
Monday that it was clean.) After discussing the results with her oncologist and
being told that there were no more viable treatment options, Cherie decided on
home hospice. (During Gigi’s visit in March, she had asked Cherie if she had
thought about hospice care and going for quality of life. At that time, Cherie
said she was not there yet.) She also wanted to go on a family vacation, but
not to Washington , DC
anymore because of the airport hassles, but to Lake Arrowhead .
So I asked Jun if Tish and I could tag along. He said, “Certainly. This is for
the whole family.” I asked Cherie if she wanted Mommy to come, remembering that
she had told me it was good Mommy didn’t see her suffer when Mommy visited in
March. And she said yes. So I emailed Pet who contacted our brothers to see who
could bring Mommy. Jet immediately said he could fly from KL to pick up Mommy
in Manila and
they would fly to LA together. I also texted Gina, who straight away booked her
flight from Nova Scotia
for Thursday. Then Noel said he would come too. As each sibling said he/she
would come, Cherie happily noted it and related to everyone she talked with the
names of her siblings who would be coming. I started to think that she was
calling the roll! Our sister, who had been so reluctant to receive visitors,
was now acting like our favorite aunt (our Dad’s older sister) Tatat, who
would remember who among her siblings, nephews and nieces would call or visit
her on her birthday or when she was confined in the hospital. So when Gigi
asked me if Cherie was expecting everyone to come, I replied, “Not really. But
she’s calling the roll.” So Gigi decided to fly too despite three important
meetings coming up.
May 1, Wednesday
After Tish and I heard the 8:15 mass, we received the happy news that another
brother, Bingo, decided to fly from Nova
Scotia too together with Gina, even if it meant going
on leave without pay. When Tish and I visited Cherie at Kaiser, the hospice
doctor came and discussed what home hospice was all about – that it was
palliative care (focused on patient comfort and not treatment), a hospice nurse
would come as needed, there was a 24/7 hotline, a hospital bed and other
medical equipment would be provided, everything would be free (including
medicines), etc. But it also required caregivers because the patient would stay
at home. We told the doctor that he was preaching to the choir because our aunt
(Josefina Magno, whom we called Tita Nette, Doc Manny’s Mom and an older
sister of our Dad’s) was one of the pioneers in hospice care in Northern Virginia . At noon, Cherie was discharged from
Kaiser and we went home.
In the evening, Jun’s niece Michele came to shave off the rest of
Cherie’s hair. Then a hospice nurse, Jim, came to officially admit Cherie to
home hospice. This meant that she would no longer see her oncologist, her
medications would be reviewed by a hospice doctor who could change them, there
would be no more chemo, etc. Jim also said that, if she wanted, Cherie could
always go back to therapeutic care, see an oncologist, undergo chemo, and, if needed, be
admitted to the hospital. But it was one or the other. Jim was very
competent with a great bedside manner. He stayed for close to two hours and we
were assured that Cherie was in very good hands.
May 2, Thursday As
was our wont, I looked in on Cherie to greet her good morning. She looked
pensive and told me that she had not slept well. I asked why but she didn’t
reply. So I took her hand and asked if she was scared. She nodded. I assured
her, “You need not be scared. We will be here for you. We will not leave you. We
will take care of you. On the other side, Daddy, Tatat and Tita Nette will be
there to welcome you.” Fortunately, Tish came into the room to greet her good
morning too. I took my leave and, when I reached our bedroom, I burst into
tears. Tish followed me and, after relating my discussion with Cherie, she also
cried and we ended up comforting each other.
After mass and with Cherie’s authorization, I talked with
the Caltech benefits staff to inquire about Cherie’s benefits. I was able to
obtain information regarding Cherie’s disability leave status, beneficiary
designations, medical insurance for Jun after Cherie terminates employment,
etc. Then it was time to pick up Bingo and Gina from LAX.
May 3, Friday My high
school batchmate, Rosanie, came to treat me to lunch. Rosanie’s younger sister also
knew Gina from their Jollibee days so we had a picture taken together. Rosanie
and I met with another HS batchmate, Cathy, at a Japanese restaurant in Pasadena . It was a very
welcome break for me. After lunch, while walking to her car, I thanked Rosanie for the lunch and I became teary-eyed when I discussed my fears with her.
| With Gina and Rosanie With Cathy and Rosanie |
When we got home, Cherie’s hospice doctor, Dr. Wendy Chang, was there to meet Cherie. Unfortunately, Cherie was getting ready for a follow-up visit with the doctor who had installed her port. So Dr. Chang didn’t get to talk with Cherie but she was able to observe her going down the stairs. After Cherie left with Jun and Bingo, Dr. Chang told Tish, Gina and me that Cherie was very weak, and she wasn’t 100% sure she would be well enough on May 8 to go to Lake Arrowhead . She also said that the cancer was very aggressive. So she asked us to tell Cherie not to feel pressured to go on the trip even if the whole family was coming. The reunion would still happen but it need not be in Lake Arrowhead . Dr. Chang was also kind enough to sign the certification of Cherie’s terminal medical condition which our three brothers in Manila needed to have their US visa for humanitarian reasons approved.
May 4, Saturday In
the morning, hospice staff delivered and installed Cherie’s hospital bed in the
living room. In the evening, another HS batchmate, Ces, picked me up for dinner
at her home near Pasadena .
It was another good break for me because Ces was very nice and very funny. She
and her hubby Peter were so warm and welcoming. Before I left, Ces even gave me a
package of longganizas which we brought to Lake Arrowhead .
The longganizas were so good!
![]() |
| With Ces at her home |
When we got home, Mommy, Gigi and Raffy were there to welcome Cherie. Later, Mommy told us she was alarmed when she saw Cherie because she
seemed so weak compared to the last time she saw her in March. Around noon, our
Syquia aunts and cousins came and everyone ate and had a wonderful time,
especially Cherie. After the Syquias left, Cherie’s boss at Caltech for close
to 24 years, Barry, came with his wife. It was his first time to see Cherie since her
lung cancer diagnosis so he got emotional too.
May 6, Monday Evelyn
picked up Tish and me to go to Cabot and Sons to inquire about funeral
services, which Cherie was aware of. It was a good time because Jun, Cherie, Gina and Bingo were going to Kaiser to have Cherie’s head
stitches removed. Raffy, Gigi and Mommy went shopping. We met with Wendell
Cabot, the grandson of the founder of Cabot and Sons. He was a very courtly
gentleman who toured us around the place and discussed the decisions that we
had to make. He was extremely nice and helpful, and made us feel so
comfortable. I told him about our planned trip to Lake Arrowhead
and I asked him what we would do if Cherie went while we were there. He asked
me what Cherie’s health directive was and I said, “DNR”. So he told us not to
call 911 because they were obliged to resuscitate her, but to first call the
coroner of San Bernardino
and then to call him. We liked the Cabot's facilities a lot. The chapel was big enough to
accommodate 100 people, and there was a separate reception room. Late evening,
Pet arrived with his wife Winda and daughter Charley but they proceeded to
the hotel so we didn’t get to see them.
![]() |
| Mr. Cabot showing us the reception room |
![]() |
| Gina, Evelyn and Tish at Forest Lawn |
Tish, Gina, Gigi, Raffy and Bingo
Pet, Winda and Charley
With Jun, Jiffy, Cherie and Mommy
In the afternoon, Jet and his wife Marife came just in time for the mass that Fr. Gerry was going to celebrate at home. Jun’s siblings came; also Pepot, our only cousin from our Dad’s side living on the West Coast; and Odette, Cherie’s HS classmate with her son and daughter-in-law. It was a beautiful mass and Cherie stayed awake the whole time in her hospital bed. Late evening, Noel arrived from
Odette with son and daughter-in-law
Mommy and Pepot
Monet, Noli, Jiffy, Jun, Evelyn, Grace and Carolie
May 8, Wednesday to
May 15, Wednesday Finally, the day came for our trip to Lake Arrowhead .
From the time we finalized the arrangements for this trip, Tish and I had been
praying that Cherie be given at least two good weeks to enjoy this trip with her
family. And our prayer was answered as I had written in my previous post on how
God’s hand writ large during this time, with grace pouring upon grace. But it
was not all good times. The leave-takings were very painful. The first sibling
to leave was Bingo on Saturday, May 11, barely 15 hours after our three
brothers arrived from Manila .
Bingo had to leave early to be with his nine year old son in Nova Scotia since his wife, Nimfa, was
leaving for LA to receive an award the day after his arrival. Bingo left the
retreat house at 3pm, and it was all we could do to keep from crying. We knew
that that was the last time the 12 siblings would be complete, since many had
already said that this would be their final goodbye. When he kissed Cherie, Bingo
could no longer hold back his tears. It was Cherie who comforted him by telling
him, “Don’t cry for me. I have lived a full life.”
Early Sunday morning, Pet, Winda and Charley left. When Pet
said his goodbye, he cried too. On his way out, I asked him what he had told
Cherie. He said, “Give my regards to Daddy.” This set me off when I walked with
Ton by the lake. I prayed to God and told Him that we
were not ready. Cherie was only 62! She still wanted to see her only grandchild turn one in November. She and Jun were planning to travel to Europe again after she retired. (This was my "Who's going to clean the toilet?" moment.) I also recalled that at one morning mass with Tish and Gina, I cried when we sang, “Amen.” It was such a bitter pill to take but swallow it we must.
Gigi, Raffy and Noel left Monday morning. Again, we all got up early to bid
them goodbye. On May 15 when we left Lake
Arrowhead , I rode in the
car with Jun, Cherie and Jiffy. We were very quiet because we knew the reunion
was over. But coming down the mountain, our spirits lifted when we saw the many
yellow flowers dotting the mountain side.
May 16, Thursday This
was a quiet day devoted to shopping for gifts for home.
May 17, Friday Jet, Marife and I were leaving at noon for LAX. In the morning, I went through
the emails that had been sent to me by Cherie’s colleagues after they found out
about her brain metastasis. I had read the emails to Cherie as each one came, and all
were effusive in their praise for her as a person and as a professional. These
emails pleased Cherie and gave us much comfort too. Cherie hardly talked about her job in Caltech. Though she
mentioned Barry a lot, she never shared with us how much she was valued at
Caltech. It was so typical of her to be so modest. That morning, I asked Cherie
for the nationality of each of the writers and then forwarded each email to Gigi with the information. (Gigi, Gina and I were already
thinking that we could use excerpts from the letters in a possible tribute to
Cherie.) Being the bright person that she was, Cherie played along and told me more about each of the writers as I read their names. She didn’t ask me for
the reason and I suspected she already knew. Too soon it was time for me to say
goodbye. I kissed her and she thanked me. Then I said, “I really believe you
still have more good months.” She said, “I hope so.” I was right, but barely.
The following day, Ton and Tato left for Manila. On Monday, Gina returned to Nova Scotia; on Thursday, Mommy and Mayo flew to Manila. Tish stayed behind to take care of Cherie, as we had promised her. Tish helped Jun with Cherie's medications. She prayed with her each day and encouraged her to get some sun out on the deck. She kept us posted on Cherie's condition, including what she ate, with her daily email. She stayed until June 20, enough time to be with Jun, Cherie and Jiffy when they drove to Dublin, near San Francisco, for Alex's lovely christening on June 9 (a great blessing). She was also able to do a handover to Gina who arrived from Nova Scotia on June 19. Gina was supposed to stay until July 5. I would then take over from July 11 for five weeks. My boss had kindly agreed that I could telecommute from Pasadena. But again, God had other plans and I was back in Pasadena sooner than planned.
The following day, Ton and Tato left for Manila. On Monday, Gina returned to Nova Scotia; on Thursday, Mommy and Mayo flew to Manila. Tish stayed behind to take care of Cherie, as we had promised her. Tish helped Jun with Cherie's medications. She prayed with her each day and encouraged her to get some sun out on the deck. She kept us posted on Cherie's condition, including what she ate, with her daily email. She stayed until June 20, enough time to be with Jun, Cherie and Jiffy when they drove to Dublin, near San Francisco, for Alex's lovely christening on June 9 (a great blessing). She was also able to do a handover to Gina who arrived from Nova Scotia on June 19. Gina was supposed to stay until July 5. I would then take over from July 11 for five weeks. My boss had kindly agreed that I could telecommute from Pasadena. But again, God had other plans and I was back in Pasadena sooner than planned.



No comments:
Post a Comment